Thursday, November 24, 2011

What Have Your Animals Taught You?



Yeah, yeah, I'm one of those crazy dog people who often refers to her pets as my own child, talking to them as if they are human beings. i think that is why "Fur Kids" exist, I don't plan on having "Skin Kids" any time soon, that this sort of craziness is justified.

Plus, they are SO CUTE.

Anyway, I've learned a lot from raising my crazy pom mix silky, Dolphy, but the addition of this little boy to the family has taught me an entirely different set of lessons. Consider:

● Sleep has an important hand in cuteness--Like all animals, my boy LOVES to sleep. He will find a cozy pillow (or starts with the corner of the bed, and slowly migrate himself next to you without knowing, because they love the warmth, and that's what dogs do) and snooze for hours.(Sometimes, he'll pull the blanket down and coil himself up) And it's adorable. I've upped my own sleep-intake, hoping for the same results.

● Life is curious, check it out--A new noise or object or movement is always reason for wide eyes and exploration. As a not-so-adventurous person myself, I have taken cues from my little fearless one that life is pretty cool, and even small things can be immensely entertaining.

● Playing is serious business--My dog sleeps a lot, but when he is awake, he aren't simply watching TV side by side.. tearing around the apartment with abandon, playing his own same old squishy ducky for the past 5 years, or even with a funny bit of fuzz he found. Making time for play is important for humans, too, and I am learning that even though I've left my Childhood, I should still play

● When it's cold, snuggle--Pets knows that when the weather turns cold, " Two dogs are better than one, and a human is better than two dogs". In other words, they can be incredibly independent, but they know when they need help from someone else. Yeah...

● Tolerance is sometimes a better alternative to anger--My little nephew loves to torture my dog by pushing him and also plays BEN 10 Vs Creature Dog..(Sweat!) little nephew thinks this is super fun, the dog? Well, probably not so much, but he tolerates it, probably because it's way more effort to squeeze himself under the couch. In my life, there are people and situations that drive me nuts, but I can't just get pissy anytime I'm confronted by these things. I learned early on (and it's been reiterated by my dog) people have quirks, and if I wrote everyone off for his or her little annoyances, I wouldn't have any friends.

No comments: