Monday, December 19, 2011

100% Selfish


I came to a realization that, for lack of a better word. That realization was: We are all selfish. And not just at a minimum; entirely selfish.

None of us are selfless.

This doesn’t have to be a downer though (I’m not saying this just to ruin your day), there are many positives that come out of us being selfish. First of, the good news is that we are not intentionally selfish (which is a good thing);

We are selfish as a by-product of us having feeling

Daily life of selfish,

Why do you eat an apple or drink orange juice? Do you just do it to do it? With no thought behind it whatsoever? Not likely. You (I’m presuming you’re normal) eat and drink to satisfy a feeling that you’re having. Whether that feeling is one of hunger, or of thirst, you satisfy it (or at least try to).

Normal cycles of satisfaction usually go like this:

I feel hungry –> I eat food –> I feel full/satisfied.
I feel thirsty –> I drink water –> I feel quenched/satisfied.
I feel tired –> I sleep –> I feel rested/satisfied.

Even when we are helping others, we are selfish. Even when we’re kind, we are selfish.

All because of those darned feelings of ours.

When you give money to the poor are you not happy? Yes, you are. Because you just gave something to yourself in the process; the feeling that you are caring.

When you help a homeless person by giving them all your spare change it’s obvious to see that you’re doing it to make them feel happy, but do you realize that you’re also doing it to make yourself feel happy? Do you realize that through making them happy, you yourself are happy? This is because you’re happy for other reasons. You are happy in that situation because you feel caring. You are happy because you feel kind.

We can’t be feeling-less, and thus we can’t be unselfish.

The best thing we can do in this situation is to realize that “Yes, we are selfish. But how can we use this to do good?” We have to live with the fact that we are selfish and move on.

We have to look towards the fact that we are all going to die in order for us to truly enjoy life (look at the bad in order to see the good), we must do the same with selfishness.

If we’re all selfish, how can we train ourselves to be selfish in a good way?

I’ll leave you with that.

minxy: Thank you for your selfishness, because of that I've found my path, I'm glad.

No comments: