Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Things I've learned about men and relationships

 At this age, I still consider myself pretty much a noob as far as relationships go.  But I have come a long way (and I still have a long way to go!) in understanding men.  Below is a list of discoveries and lessons I have learned throughout the years.


1. Do not start arguments in public.
I find that this is one the most embarrassing and tasteless things you can do.  It also makes everyone around you feel super awkward.  The best thing is to either pull him aside privately or just walk out.

2. Do not offer to take a shot/drink for your boyfriend.
It insults his manhood; just let him puke.

3. Speak out.
Girls always wanted the guys they dated to comfort them, tell them that things will be okay, or agree that whoever pissed them off is an asshole.What I wanted is logical advice – which is actually very useful when I’m stubbornly being an emotional wreck.  If you want to find comfort, go to your girlfriends – they’re usually better at it.

4. Meat is his aphrodisiac.
I’m pretty sure a juicy steak would get him much more excited, not chocolate dipped strawberries, oysters, or champagne.

5. Don’t poll your friends and use the results to support your argument.
Friends often have very similar outlook and beliefs, so there’s a likely chance that they would agree with you anyway.  (Or if they’re girls, they would probably find something to agree with you on to make you feel better.  See #3.)   The relationship is between you and your boyfriend, so don’t bring outsiders’ opinions in – it doesn’t matter how many of your girlfriends feel it’s right that their boyfriends buy them a two carat engagement ring.

6. Do not volunteer your boyfriend or RSVP for him.
I've made this mistake…twice.  No matter how sure you are he is up for it or assume that since you’re doing it, he would too.  He is still his own person – ask and let him decide.

7. Don’t make him do kissy noises over the phone in front of his friends.
Let him have some dignity.

8. Let things go.
Some things are just not worth having the last word over.

No comments: