Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Not Ready for Marriage?

I find it interesting when my friends tell me they're not ready for marriage and then go on to explain something that totally does not have anything to do with marriage itself.

Top reason of all is, "I want to focus on my career and be financially stable to sustain a family". Honestly, I don't even know what that means. Maybe if you are neck deep in debt and you're trying to get out of it, I can understand that, but generally speaking, what does having a great career and making more money have anything to do with marriage? Are you only capable of focusing on one important aspect of your life at one time? Will there ever be a point where you are completely satisfied with what you have accomplished and will take a step back?

If anything, I believe that marriage supports that unless you plan on marrying someone who is just gold-digging. If that's the case, you would never make enough.

Another popular reason is that once you get married, you'll be on lockdown and you won't be able to do what you have always wanted to do. The reality is that if you're 30 and you still haven't done most of those things on your bucket list, it's mostly because you have been procrastinating and making excuses.

  I always wanted to travel more, but the reality was that I kept on saying it was a bad time or I didn't have enough money. The truth was, I just didn't make traveling a real goal and priority in my life and it would probably never be.

 Besides, why would marriage stop you from doing those things you wanted anyway? If you married the right person, either you do those things together, or they would support you in doing those things if it isn't something they're interested in. Granted, there are some things that I had to rethink like escaping to Cali, but like I said earlier, if it was really that much of a priority in my life, I would have done it already.

 When I hear these reasons, I feel like people have this idea that marriage is a prison. Once you get married, all yor attention has to be there. In my opinion, that only happens if you've settled and married the wrong person. If you married someone who isn't supportive of you and you in turn will not be supportive of them. You married someone who cares about their own happiness much more than yours. And the mistake here is choosing the wrong person, not choosing marriage.


stay tune for the next one coming up : 

Friends going out with your Ex, Weird or Not?

No comments: